Northern Gateway

The Mill Ponds site was once occupied by the Pheonix Paper Mill, built in 1852, with the large mill pond created to help power the facility. This was replaced in 1889 by the Wellcome Pharmaceutical Factory, which was founded by Henry Wellcome and Silas Burroughs. Plans to re-image the former factory’s Mill Ponds and neighbouring Northern Gateway sites began in 2010.

The sites are being transformed into luxury homes, including one and two-bedroom apartments and two and three-bedroom houses, with excellent access to Dartford Railway Station. The new homes will boost the town, especially the centre of Dartford. It will bring more people to shops and businesses, and a good number of affordable houses will go to local people built entirely on brownfield land.

After the Second World War the company opened newer plants on other sites, and by 2008 the Dartford factory was wound down and eventually closed by then owners, GlaxoSmithKline.